Tuesday, January 8, 2013

What's under the burka.....?

We're just guessing, but this amused us.  In a country where you have to wear long pants and long sleeves to the mall, this was a very exotic and provocative display.  And the photojournalistic opportunity to catch it in the frame with a local woman, and then her husband, was just too enticing. :)   Marsh and I have joked that maybe that is all they wear under those burkas and hijabs...  super naughty lingerie.   Who knows!   Explains why there are a lot of Victoria's Secrets here....




Though, as a cultural side note, next time I want to travel with a trained anthropologist in my pocket who can explain to me the various types of burkas, hijabs, head scarves, dresses and attire adorned by the wide world of muslim women that frequent this emirate.  You have women from the middle east, Indonesia, Africa and Pakistan here - and they all dress differently.   Sometimes within the same family group!  I saw one where there was a man, three kids and two women.  One woman - full burka, just the eyes showing.  The other?   Long dress, head scarf, face showing.   What gives!  I desperately wanted to know.  First wife, second wife?  Wife or daughter?  Wife and mother-in-law?  Time to get a book or dig up a professor at UW to explain all this to me. But the clothes and the various dress was a feast for the eyes, whatever it was.  Just wish I had more pictures, but I do attempt not to be rude.  Unless I can do it when they don't see me, as below.... :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment