Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Madinat Jumeirah

After our death march, we went back to the hotel and then gathered our forces to go back out.  Our last night in town, I wasn't going to sit and lick my wounds in the lobby.   We had no room to hang out in anyway, as we'd checked out and our bags were tucked away in the concierge bag room.   So we went to Madinat Jumeirah, my consolation prize for a lousy day.   MJ is a self-contained resort with shops and restaurants with a series of canals winding through it.  Think the Venetian in Las Vegas - similar idea.  And the big draw here its proximity to Burj Al Arab, another iconic Dubai skyline fixture.  Shaped like the sail of a traditional Arabic dhow (boat) it sits parked out in the Gulf and you can see it from almost everywhere.  It is beautiful.  You can go visit the Al Arab, but for a price.  7 course afternoon tea is about $125.  Drinks in their Skyview Bar require a reservation, preferably made about a month in advance, and a per person required spend of about $75.   I would have tried to get out there, but we couldn't get reservations, and Marshall would have died if I'd told him the price.  :)   So we enjoyed wandering MJ, got some late afternoon lunch for a steal at the coffee shop - including a latte bigger than my head which I desparately needed, and took some photos, did some people watching and generally enjoyed our last afternoon in town.

First off, a couple shots I stole off Google to give an overview of the resort....








 


 








 

No comments:

Post a Comment