Thursday, December 27, 2012

Alive, tired, but determined....

Lacinda 12/28/12

FYI -  2.5 days, heavily jetlagged, is NOT enough time in Dubai.  Too much to do here, not enough internal drive.  :)  We'd prefer to lay by the pool, but as I may or may not ever set foot in this place again, off we go - much to Marshall's horror.   Especially when I pointed out that I'd love to go back to the markets, and don't feel comfortable going alone.  However, if you read his post last night about his obstructionist approach to capitalism, maybe I'd prefer NOT to take him. ;)  

We're heading to Burj Khalifa this morning (big tall building), and as you already know, we hit the Gold Souk (market) last night.  So I have pics, and will have more later, but no idea when I'll have time to post them.  At 2:30 today we leave for a desert safari, complete with camel ride, dune buggy riding, arabic dinner and belly dancers.  I presume it will be tourist cheesy, but fun.  Thus, more photo opps that I will try to get posted in the morning.

In the meantime, I'd have to say that Dubai is pretty cool.  Clean, traffic more Chicago than Istanbul (wasn't sure what to expect there), and the overall feel is Vegas/Phoenix with a lot more ethnicity mixed in.  The city was essentially started in the mid1800s, and grew from 800 tribesman to its current size of ~ 2 million.  Most of it is brand new, and we haven't even hit the opulent part yet.  That starts today.  Off to the biggest malls in the world.  With Marshall.  Yeah, that's gonna go well.  ;)   More on that tomorrow. 


No comments:

Post a Comment